Saturday, October 6, 2012

Murfreesboro, TN - Family History

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 4th -  NASHVILLE

Trip Day:
   207
Latitude:
 36°09.72' N 
Locks Today:
  0
Miles Today:
     0
Longitude:
087°46.39' W
Locks Total:
94
Total Miles:
4,322
Location:
Nashville, TN – Downtown Docks
Disclaimer .  .  . you won't hurt my feelings if you skip this post about family history!
 
Today was Jean’s day.  I walked in the path of my Grandmother,  Concetta Miciotto, who immigrated from the sea-side town of  Cefalu, Sicily in 1911.  She came over on the ship with four children in tow and my mother, Clara, was born five years later.  My grandmother’s brother, Sam diGiorgio was the first to immigrate in 1899, and soon opened a small fruit stand on Main Street Square in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.  As he became successful, he encouraged his family to follow him to the U.S., hiring them in his business and providing housing until they found their own way.  With his help and their hard work four Italian families, comprised of 20 members, owned businesses and restaurants on Main Street Square and all had homes nearby on Spring Street.  My grandmother, and her oldest son, Dominick, opened the Busy Bee Café where an  Italian Restaurant still stands.  My mother used to describe going to the restaurant before school each morning to help prepare for the day, then returning after school to wash dishes once she finished her homework.   

Murfreesboro was the capital of Tennessee between 1818-1826.  It was rewarding to find that the Main Street Square was still the vibrant center of town with no empty storefronts. 





















The best part of the day was having lunch with my cousins, Rose Ann and Rita.  Bill, Rita’s husband, and Ron were supportive as they sat for hours listening to the three of us talking about family memories.  Rose Ann has done the most work on the genealogy and has helped me greatly in my search of my Italian roots.  Each question asked lead to another, then  another until we would forget where we started.  It was a wonderful afternoon and ended with promises to stay in touch.  I know I will return to scan photos and record Rose Ann and Rita’s stories before they are lost forever. 

 

I miss my mother, Clara, but knowing I walked in her footsteps today was a great comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment